Support is pouring in for a Los Angeles restaurant owner whose frustrated and tearful complaint about the unfairness of COVID-19 restrictions has gone viral with nearly eight million clicks.
“Tell me that this is dangerous,” restaurant owner Angela Marsden says into the camera as she gestures toward her Pineapple Hill Saloon and Grill’s empty outdoor dining tables in the moving clip she published Thursday.
“But right next to me, as a slap in my face, that’s safe?” she goes on, gesturing across the street toward a film crew’s outdoor setup of tents and tables.
Her tables have been ordered to shut down under California’s ban on outdoor dining.
Meanwhile, the film catering site is feeding the cast and crew of the NBC crime dramedy “Good Girls” under a city-issued permit, the New York Times reported.
Film shoots are actually stricter than restaurants because they are limited to crew members who must be regularly tested for the virus, the LA county health department told the paper.
But that’s no consolation to Marsden.
“Everything that I own is being taken away from me and they set up a movie company right next to my outdoor patio,” she complains in her video, her voice breaking with emotion.
She has owned the money for ten years, and had just spent some $80,000 to construct the outdoor dining area before the state ordered restaurants go take-out only late last month, the ABC affiliate in Los Angeles reports.
“They have not given us money and they have shut us down. We cannot survive,” she says.
“My staff cannot survive.”
Marsden’s clip was retweeted by Donald Trump, Jr. on Friday. A GoFundMe for the restaurant had raised more than $84,000 by early Sunday.
Originally published at https://nypost.com/2020/12/06/los-angeles-restaurant-owner-receives-support-after-viral-video/ on .