South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem sued the Biden administration on Friday for canceling a planned July 4 fireworks display at Mount Rushmore.
The Republican governor is asking a judge to order that a permit be granted “expeditiously” so the Independence Day celebration can be held at the iconic national monument, Fox News first reported.
“Mount Rushmore is the very best place to celebrate America’s birthday and all that makes our country special,” the federal court filing says.
“After telling us they’d ‘circle back,’ the Biden Administration has not responded to our request to uphold the Memorandum Agreement between the State of South Dakota and the National Parks Service to host a safe and responsible national celebration and fireworks show.”
Earlier this month, the National Park Service denied a request by the Mount Rushmore State to reprise last year’s fireworks show, which followed a speech by then-President Donald Trump and marked the first pyrotechnics there since 2009.
The NPS cited the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and said it was “only prudent to make plans based on the best available science and public health guidance available today.”
South Dakota is the only state in the nation that never imposed a mask mandate or shutdown of businesses.
Last year, a study blamed the state’s annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally for nearly 20 percent all the coronavirus cases diagnosed nationwide in August, saying that more than 460,000 mostly maskless bikers turned it into a “superspreading event.”
Noem, 49, blasted that analysis, by researchers at San Diego State University’s Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies and the IZA Institute of Labor Economics, as “fiction” and “an attack on those who exercised their personal freedom to attend Sturgis.”
Neither the White House nor the NPS responded to requests for comment, Fox News said.
Originally published at https://nypost.com/2021/04/30/kristi-noem-sues-biden-administration-over-mount-rushmore-fireworks/ on .