There are no “specific and credible” terror threats against the Big Apple ahead of the 20th anniversary of 9/11 and following the recent ISIK-K suicide bombing in now-Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday.
“We take that very, very seriously,” de Blasio said of the potential for attacks, in response to a question from a reporter. “Right now, despite the very painful things happening in Afghanistan, there are no specific and credible threats against New York City, right now.”
De Blasio said city officials have been “hyper-aware” of the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that brought down the Twin Towers.
“The NYPD has been preparing intensely, working with all partners in a joint terrorism task force,” the mayor said during his daily press briefing. “Rest assured that very intensive preparations are being made.”
Meanwhile, the city’s emergency management agency is preparing to accept Afghan refugees landing at John F. Kennedy International Airport, pending direction from the federal government, de Blasio said.
“I know folks who have been through this horrible experience deserve to be protected,” he said.
Gov. Kathy Hochul said last week that New York state can take in more than 860 refugees from Afghanistan.
Originally published at https://nypost.com/2021/08/31/no-credible-threats-against-nyc-on-20th-anniversary-of-9-11-de-blasio/ on .